Roman 12:1-2

"Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:1-2

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Discipline

Two days ago I made a vow, a pledge.  I was mentally complaining about my lack of funds, sipping on an iced coffee from my favorite coffee place, when I heard on the radio: Compassion International was raising funds for water filters that will serve Rwandan families for a lifetime.  Only $55 each.  I was both sad and angry that this month I just don't have that lying around. 

Sip, sip, rattle, rattle.

So I made a pledge that I would drink nothing but water for a whole month, because there are people in this world who can't drink clean water, period, but I have access to it in abundance and so often choose the sugary or tasty or caffiene-heavy instead.

Two days later I am regretting my pledge.  Not because the cause is not worthwhile but because I hate water.  Water is boring, water is bland.  Give me something to entertain my mouth.

That attitude in and of itself is appalling.  But what bothers me this morning is that I was contemplating "cheating."  I live alone.  Who would know?  And who would it be hurting, really?

But that isn't the point, is it?  The point is keeping my pledge, being a woman of my word.  So often I say I will do this or that, for God, for work, for friends or family or church.  One thing leads to another and I either forget my promise or "forget".  It shows a decided lack of discipline in my life.

Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,  and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.  For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.  Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble; for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.  2 Peter 1:5-11

I must persevere in my promise, to bring about godliness in my life.  For no other reason than that God always keeps His promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment