Roman 12:1-2

"Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:1-2

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Diligence: a Thought from Evans' Book

Several days ago, I meditated here on the lack of diligence in my life and how necessary it is to overcome my addiction.  Without diligence, little actions and attitudes that seem irrelevant slowly lead me to a place where stepping into my addictive behavior is not such a big jump.

Today, reading Deborah Evans' book, I came upon a quote from a third century bishop.  His name was Nonnos, and he said, "We, the mindless ones, indifferently dismiss, without regard, the soul, instead of preferring the immortal and living God.  Moreover, we prefer what is vain and perishable, thus insulting and disdaining our dignity.  Whereupon, we suffer loss of that wonderful and ineffable delight of perpetual blessedness."

The pleasures that this world provides, whether they be sinful addictions or hours of seemingly innocuous television viewing, disregard the soul.  They are vain and perishable.  That is not what I was created for.  What is the chief end of man? To glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

I could say I am the only one that loses, when I prefer the vain and perishable.  But the story of Nonnos that Evans relates in her book is in reference to an actress/prostitute in her sedan chair, decked to the nines and gathering adoring and lustful looks as she drives by.  Nonnos is referring to the reactions of the godly men with whom he is speaking, and to his own reaction: downcast eyes and turning away.  It is that action that he says disregards the soul -- her soul.

Am I the only one who loses?  Or is it all the people with whom I come in contact who, because my days are spent in fleeting pleasures, do not see the joy and peace and pleasure to be had in the presence of my Savior?

1 comment:

  1. That's a very sobering quote...but quite true! Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete