Roman 12:1-2

"Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:1-2

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

knowing

This is a theme that comes back to me again and again: to know and be known.

Implied in this concept is intimacy. If one person truly knows another, there must be some intimacy involved. Intimacy implies going deeper than surface level. Knowing and understanding what makes a person tick, what causes that person to lose sleep at night, what causes him or her to laugh with unfettered joy.

When this concept is applied to people, there is risk involved. We all feel a bit insecure, never quite sure if what will be revealed about us will be shocking to that other person, if it will make that person see us differently, if it will mar the relationship. I don't worry about what some celebrty thinks of me; there is no relationship there. But sometimes I worry about what my sister thinks, or what my friends or colleagues think.

What about with God?




Hmmm. What about it?

With God, there is no risk. He is pefectly understanding, loving, kind. He is neither surprised by the depth of my self-deception nor disappointed by my continual struggles.

And yet it is so overwhelming to think that I can have intimacy with God. That I can be known by God. I want to be known -- we all have that innate desire. But do I really want that?

Or do I only want people to know what I allow them to know?

God knows it all. And loves me anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment