Roman 12:1-2

"Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:1-2

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

inside outside upside down

Ever read the Berenstein Bears book called Inside Outside Upside Down? It is a cute book to introduce prepositions, with Brother Bear inside a box, outside on the back of a truck, and eventually upside down.

I have been very inward focused lately. Instead of being focused on others and my interaction with the world. And it has left me feeling upside down.

I have been trudging (good word, trudging) through the murky mud of medical tests, feeling very discouraged, the whole nine yards. My friends are all very supportive, always asking me how things are going, how the latest test turned out, if I need anything. And I am grateful for their kindnesses. But I felt angry this week, thinking, "I am more than this illness! Ask me about what I am reading, what I am learning, what I am doing."

The irony is that I am not doing anything. I have not read my Bible outside of church in I can't say how long. I don't go anywhere. Sadly, my life does revolve around this illness.

But I am the only one who can change that. So I am putting together a perpetual calendar of outward focused things I can do: write to a missionary, call a friend. I need 31 different things for this calendar.

What do you do to take your mind off yourself and focus on God's world and His people around you? Share your ideas!

Let's be outside inside right-side up!

No comments:

Post a Comment