Roman 12:1-2

"Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:1-2

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Malachi

I heard a blurb on the radio this past week about the way Malachi can be summed up in one fell swoop. The speaker read chapter 3 verse 6:

"I the LORD do not change. So you, descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed."

That is a comforting thought. No matter what I do, God doesn't change. No matter what nightmares occur in the world around me, God is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

*
*
*

What also strikes me is the placement of this truth. It is not the only time in Scripture God tells us He is unchanging. Immutable, as the theologians would have it. 

But He tells us again in Malachi. The last book of the Old Testament. The last bit before the age of Grace begins with Jesus's death and resurrection. The last words before God stops speaking for 400 years.

"OK, people, you won't hear from me for awhile. Here it is, nice and clear and concise so you don't forget: I, the LORD, don't change. And that is so you won't be destroyed."

If you knew you would not see this or that person ever again, what would you say? We use that concept at graduations and saying good-bye to loved ones. What are the last things we want them to know? I love you...I'm proud of you...be good...

God wants us to know: I never change.

You can count on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment