Roman 12:1-2

"Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:1-2

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Detour

I was planning the first week of school, expecting rambunctious 5th and 6th graders, and not knowing what to expect from my new history class for 7th and 8th. I now teach humanities for all of middle school in the small Christian school where I have taught elementary for 5 years. I needed an intro to Bible lesson for both grade levels. The 7th/8th history curriculum incorporates Bible, but the 5th/6th does not. And anyway, I could use the first lesson for both.

I wanted to use 2 Timothy 3:16:  All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness...

Just so happens, my pastor spoke on that very verse the week before school started! He used a great visual aid.

So great, in fact, that I stole the idea and used it in class.

Teaching: Picture a one way sign. God's Word shows us the ONE WAY that is right, and we must follow it.

Rebuking: Picture a do not enter sign. Stop, My Child! That's the WRONG WAY!

Correcting: Picture a detour sign. You went the wrong way -- here is how you get back to the ONE WAY.

Training: Beware of the student driver! She may be a Christian, but she doesn't always know what she's doing!

My students made signs themselves, and we hung them above the black board.

Now, to find road signs for my apartment....I suppose stealing them off the poles would be in a different category than stealing Pastor's idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment