Roman 12:1-2

"Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:1-2

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"The Actions of men are the best indicators of thought.'

That is a quote from John Locke that Chip Ingram uses to open the chapter in Good to Great in God's Eyes entitled "Think Great Thoughts."

Later in the chapter, Ingram writes, "The thoughts we entertain in our minds become the thoughts that guide our lives."

I know this is true. Having spent several years in addiction, I can say that what I thought about -- always, always desiring that next "fix"-- is what led me to seek that next fix. Not just the random thought that pops into my head -- I can't help those. But the "entertaining" of thoughts, the dwelling on, the mulling over and over, like sucking on a cough drop to get all the sweet medicine out of it and immediately reaching for another when my throat becomes scratchy again -- that is what leads to the wrong behavior.  My behavior is in direct coorolation to my thought life.

So when I whine about my complacency (as I did in my last post), the solution is obvious: think about the object of my affection that seems to only produce complacency in me. As I think about and learn about and read about and pray to God, my complacency leaves me. It does not dissolve away but rather runs, full tilt, leaving behind it the full-fleded desire to spend even more time in God's presence.


Philippians 4: 8 - 9


 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.  The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment